Is it even possible to have a balance between work and life? Of course and the ways to achieve that are as follows
- Now that you have zeroed in on the aspect of life that you think is affected the most because of you work, start preparing a time-management chart in a paper or in your head and stick to it. If you want to sleep 8 hours a day daily and still want to go to the gym, well, here’s an example how you can do it
- Ensure that you fall sleep by 10 every night. I’m not talking about going to bed by 10. I want you to fall asleep by 10 and when you should go to bed depends how long it takes for you to fall asleep. So, fall asleep by 10 and wake up by 6 in the morning.
- Go to the gym that is easily accessible, why I’m saying this is because, some people tend to go to the best high quality gym and that would take around 30 minutes to travel. Don’t do that, reduce those 30 minutes to 5 or 10 minutes. Find a gym that is nearer to your home.
- Hit the gym till 8, return home, get ready and be at the office by 9 and of course you can return home before 8 too, it depends on how long you like to be at the gym but not more than 8. Now, if you have to work for 10 hours a day, then your work time would be from 9 to 7 and you can be home early.
- Follow this entire routine for 4 days a week. If you ask me those four days at the gym would give you that physique that every average person would want. On the fifth day, which you’d mostly chose to be a Friday, spend those time that you do on the gym with your family and instead of sleeping for 8 hours reduce it to 6 and spend even more time with your family. If you ask me I would follow that routine for 3 days and allot the remaining 4 for my family.
- Then comes your Saturday and Sunday where you just have to shelve your work aside, do not even think about it and spend the entire 2 days with your family and keep them happy.
- Now, if you think that spending time with your family and improving your relationships is getting affected because you work a lot. Then,
- Reduce your sleep time. Sleep only for 6 hours a day. Fall asleep by 12 and wake up by 6.
- You won't chose this system if you are a fitness freak but still if I suggest don't go the gym at all if you're already a healthy and fit person and if you do want to hit the gym do it only for 30 or 45 minute.
- Be at the office by 9 and return by 7. That gives you nearly 7 hours each day to spend time with your family and in addition you do have those Saturdays and Sundays where you can dedicate you entire time to your family in a way that best suits you.
- Now, if you say that I want to sleep for eight hours and hit the gym as long as I like and I want to spend quality time with my family. Is that possible? It sure is only if you work from home 24 * 7. If you have it then you're one lucky person.
The third way how I balance work and life is by doing alternates and this has suited me the best. It’s really simple and doesn’t require too much of planning. So here’s how you can do alternates.
- Focus on your work for one day and on the next focus on your health or your family and on the third day you can concentrate on work again. On the fourth day do the things that you love.
The drawback of this technique is that sometimes your work will be so demanding that you just have to focus on nothing but work for 2 or 3 continuous days. In those cases you can always follow either of the previous two methods stated above.
So that’s it guys. In a nutshell, you work-life balance depends on how well you do in time management. Which by the way is something that I sucked in, until I found these methods. These techniques that I follow have allowed me to enjoy both my work and my social life, hope one these methods help you too.